BBS Architects Engineers

Firm History

1895

Proudfoot and Bird Established

William T. Proudfoot and George W. Bird founded Proudfoot & Bird in Des Moines, Iowa after working in Kansas together. 

1897

Crocker Building

Located on the Southwest corner of 5th and Locust the Crocker Building was the first known office of the firm. 

1898

Collegiate Building - Schaeffer Hall

Proudfoot and Bird won the design competition for the University of Iowa's Collegiate Building currently named Schaeffer Hall.

St Paul's Episcopal Church

Harlan, Iowa

1899

Christian Church

Panora, Iowa

1900

Dallas County Courthouse

Firm designs the Dallas County Courthouse, which is completed in 1902.

1901

Lang Hall

University of Northern Iowa

1903

Ames Carnegie Library

Ames, Iowa

Begeman Hall

University of Northern Iowa

Marston Hall

Iowa State University

1904

Iowa Building - Louisiana Purchase Expo

Proudfoot and Bird were the architects who designed the Iowa Building for the Louisiana Purchase Exposition, commonly known as the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair. 

1905

Biology Building

University of Iowa

1906

Beardshear Hall

Iowa State University

Polk County Courthouse

The Polk County courthouse was completed in 1906. The stone masons who constructed the grotesques took some creative liberty to leave their own personal mark in history. 

1908

Macbride Hall

Macbride Hall, the building of Natural Science, at the University of Iowa was completed in 1908.

1909

Curtiss Hall

Iowa State University

Jasper County Courthouse

Newton, Iowa

1910

Proudfoot Bird and Rawson

Harry Rawson joins Proudfoot and Bird to form Proudfoot Bird and Rawson around 1910. They emerge as the foremost Architectural firm in the state through the 1920's.

In 1913 the firm moves into the Hubble Building which will house the office for over 80 years. Pictured below is the firm in 1913, the Hubble building, and office plans.

1912

Currier Hall

University of Northern Iowa

Lagomarcino Hall

Iowa State University

Sabin Hall

University of Northern Iowa. Originally called the Training School, Sabin hall was an educational building where young children from the community could go to school while students attending the University could do their "practice teaching" while experienced teachers supervised. In 1957 it was renamed Sabin Hall.

Teachout Building

Des Moines, Iowa

1913

Herring Motor Car Company

The original building located at 110 West 10th street Des Moines, was completed in 1912. Two stories were added on 1 year later. As the company continued to grow Proudfoot Bird and Rawson remained their architect completing yet another building in 1918. 

State Gymnasium

Iowa State University

1914

Fort Dodge City Hall

Fort Dodge, Iowa

1915

Des Moines Register and Tribune Building

Des Moines, IA

Greene County Courthouse

Firm designs the Greene County Courthouse, which is completed in 1915.

1916

Bartlett Hall

University of Northern Iowa

1917

Wright Hall

University of Northern Iowa

1919

Hotel Fort Des Moines

Completed in 1919. 

1922

Equitable Building

Des Moines, IA

Lincoln High School

Construction of Lincoln High School completed.

Roosevelt High School

Roosevelt High School is completed in 1922.

1925

Parks Library

Iowa State University

1926

Campanile

University of Northern Iowa

Mackay Hall

Iowa State University

1928

Memorial Union

Iowa State University

Power Plant

Power plant and the University of Iowa in Iowa City. 

Proudfoot Rawson & Souers

The firm is renamed for the partners Proudfoot, Rawson, and Souers.

1929

Kinnick Stadium

University of Iowa

1930

Algona High School

Algona, Iowa

1931

Smouse Opportunity School

The David W Smouse Opportunity school was the only school in Iowa at the time that was designed specifically for students with disabilities. Many special considerations were given to temperature controls, acoustics, and black board angles to meet a various needs of the students. 

1932

Dubuque County Courthouse

Dubuque, Iowa

Iowa Des Moines National Bank (US Bank)

Currently known as US Bank, the Art Deco building was originally designed and built for a high rise above the 4th floor. However due to decreased funds the high rise was never constructed.

1933

Brooks & Borg Join the Firm

John Brooks and Elmer Borg join the partnership, Elmer being the first engineering partner. The firm is renamed Proudfoot Rawson Brooks and Borg.

Burton (Des Moines) Building

Des Moines, IA - Art Deco Style

1937

Des Moines Fire Station

Currently the Social Club and Malo restaurant. Des Moines, Iowa

1942

Firm Reduced to Three Employees

The firm reduced to John Brooks and two others during the period of WWII, 1942-1945.

1945

Firm Renamed

After WWII, the firm is renamed Brooks-Borg after  John Brooks and Elmer Borg.

1948

Des Moines Art Center

Brooks-Borg collaborates with Eliel Saarinen to design the Des Moines Art Center, 1945-1948. 

Harvey Ingham Sciences Hall

Drake Univerity, Des Moines, IA - Collaboration with Saarinen, Swanson, Saarinen

1950

Central Reform Church

Oskaloosa, Iowa. The original building was built in 1950. Since then an addition has been added on by another firm.

Iowa Methodist Medical Center - South Wing

Des Moines, IA - Nine story addition with 109 beds, operating room, kitchen, and pharmacy. 

Power and Light Company

Des Moines, IA

Stephens Auditorium

Iowa State University

BBS partnered with Crites and Mcconnell Architects. BBS was the primary engineering firm on the job.  

Williams Residence

Oskaloosa, IA

1951

Joe Borg Joins the Firm

Joe Borg, architect and structural engineer, joins the partnership. 

1955

Central College Student Union

Pella, Iowa

1956

Council Bluffs Courthouse/Post Office

Council Bluffs, Iowa

Post Office - Courthouse Council Bluffs

Council Bluffs, Iowa

Solar Aircraft Manufacturing Facility

Solar Aircraft Manufacturing Facility and three additions built in 1951-1956.

1963

Paul Skiles Joins the Firm

Paul Skiles joins the partnership in 1963. Firm is renamed Brooks Borg and Skiles in 1966.

1964

U.S. Federal Office Building

Des Moines, IA - Firm collaboration with Amos Emery, Savage & Verploeg, Wetherell Harrison & Wagner

1968

Preferred Risk Mutual Insurance Co. (GuideOne)

West Des Moines, IA - An addition to the original building was completed in 1979

© 2020 BBS Architects | engineers, All rights reserved.