Project Data: 60,200 GSF
Construction Cost: $11,700,000
Construction Completed: 2000
The goal for Biology Building East was to be part of a multi-phase construction project to provide state-of-the-art teaching and research facilities for the Department of Biological Sciences. In addition to the new building, four existing Biology buildings will be renovated and provided with new mechanical, electrical and life safety systems
BBS provided design services to meet the client’s stated goal.
- Construction of the new building allows the Department to vacate large sections of the existing facilities, enabling renovations and remodeling with minimal disruptions to ongoing teaching and research.
- The building provides the Department with flexible teaching and research space, accommodating changing technologies and directions.
- Teaching facilities are clustered on the first floor and include teaching labs, an auditorium, and seminar room.
- Upper floors of the building contain research functions including a rooftop greenhouse.
- Located across Dubuque Street from the existing buildings, a skywalk was designed to connect the new building to the existing Biology Complex.
- TEAM MEMBERS:
- Rob Hedgepeth, P.E., CCCA,