Original Building. 1969
Original Building: 90,000 SF
Addition: 95,000 SF
This home office for a rapidly growing family of insurance companies is indicative of that growth. Their first building in 1954 was outgrown in ten years. An expansion was outgrown in another ten years. At this point a new site was selected and a new building of about 90,000 SF was designed and constructed. This was an award winning design with sensitive and imaginative use of small scale brick and exposed concrete, both inside and out. The influence of Frank Lloyd Wright has often been cited.
When, in ten years, the Owners outgrew this building they refused to consider a solution which would violate the original design. So a design developed, at the Architect’s suggestion, which created two office floors below grade with only the new cafeteria being at the first floor level. The plan develops a tightly interlocking addition that minimizes circulation and compliments existing landscaping.
Underground construction assured low energy consumption and eliminated expansion of present boiler facilities. The design provides a series of skylit, landscaped atriums and perimeter light wells that preserves natural daylight conditions throughout interior work spaces. Space in the addition is even preferred by some personnel to that in the original building. The use of brick, glass and architectural concrete compliments the original award winning structure.