Goodnow Hall, completed in 1885 as Goodnow Library and Observatory, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and has become recognized as a key architectural element on the Grinnell College campus. The goals of this project were to preserve the building through exterior restoration while renovating the interior for contemporary needs, including life safety and functional efficiency. The building was renovated for the Anthropology Department.
BBS provided design and interior planning for the restoration of Goodnow Hall.
- Design includes restoration of exterior walls, entrance lobby, and first floor seminar room.
- The remainder of the interior has been renovated for Anthropology Department offices and teaching spaces.
- Exterior restoration includes:
- Replacement of severely deteriorated sandstone with matching new material and rebuilding a portion of the exterior masonry walls.
- Masonry cleaning and tuckpointing, stained glass restoration, and entrance door restoration.
- Replacement windows duplicate original windows in appearance while attaining a high degree of energy efficiency.
- Interior plan modifications provide an efficient organization of space and allow the use of the original window openings to light work areas.
- At the third floor, the original barrel vaulted ceiling is highlighted with cove lighting and a large existing semicircular end window.
- Throughout the building, wood wainscot trim and panel doors are used.
- In the entrance lobby, seminar room, and stair, oak flooring, a reproduction carpet and wall covering of the late 1800s were supplied by a Grinnell College restoration specialist.